Wednesday 24 February 2016

British Museum Drawing from the Collections

 I spent a most stimulating Sunday afternoon at the British Museum ' Drawing from the collections'


 We were drawing the Nereids of the  Nereid Monument in Room 17, the tutor Anna Saunders explaining a bit about their history and significance. I've actually been to the site in Turkey where they came from ( allegedly the Turkish Government asked they be returned  as they needed the Mediterranean behind them so the BM painted the walls blue...)   She then took  us through various exercises on capturing form and fluidity. We started with mark -making and then a couple of continuous line drawings ( which always to me are often livelier than finished work)
   We then looked at  trying to outline the underlying body structure  in the form of basic 'sausages'
 Then we started clothing her  with the folds of fabric
 Finally adding tone to emphasis the solidity
Anna was an excellent tutor,  with lots of samples at different stages , giving  encouragement and advice on an individual basis (eg identifying areas that weren't quite right and how to correct them) Looking forward to  Power and Presence in Papua New Guinea next Sunday!
 Although the museum was very busy, the  Members  Room was quieter than I've seen it and managed to get a seat for lunch overlooking the Great Court. Returned there with Janet Beck  ( from 'Drawing  Tuesdays') for coffee and cake afterwards, how civilised!
Meanwhile, following yet another configuration of my studio, I'm making good progress quilting my second Cwilt Cymru  'Cynefin' quilt, rewarding myself with lunch at Macknades  and an exhilarating bike ride in the sun. 


3 comments:

Penny said...

Sounds as if you are enjoying life.

Uta Lenk said...

I love to see how you are progressing with your drawing. I'm envious. But I guess if I just ever got my act together and practised, practised, practised...
Keep it up!

magsramsay said...

Thanks Uta, going to a class like this gives focus to the practise ( and pick up some good tips). It's good to see how different people tackle the same subject.