Tuesday 3 July 2012

Summer School Retreat

I set  off for  retreat at Alston Hall with several projects - rather ambitious since it was only for the weekend! I've been on  3 CQ Summer Schools there, it's a lovely location overlooking the Ribble Valley, with comfortable accommodation and excellent food.  I brought  back  the piece above started   in a Jae Maries workshop in 2009 and was pleased to see that the rusting, lichen covered gate post that inspired it was still untouched  


Likewise the peeling paint of the glasshouse door ( that featured in my Sketchbook Project Limited Edition 'Distressed Doors')
Not doing a workshop and being responsible  for my own timetable, I was able to spend a peaceful couple of hours painting around the grounds, accompanied only by lots of  birdsong.


Like one of other Margaret's I took advantage of the scraps and trimmings brought by Sally-Ann to compose a small fabric sketch - it felt satisfying  to do something responding to the local  environment .

Mainly though I made good progress on stitching my 'Red Flotsam' piece started at Summer School last year with Jo Budd, encouraged by the positive comments from my companions and a few glasses of red wine. A productive, stimulating weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the way your red flotsam piece is developing. Fabulous shot of red - gorgeous!