Thursday 30 June 2011

Packing for Summer School

Last day at work before Contemporary Quilt Summer School with Jo Budd on theme of 'Microcosm to Macrocosm. We were asked to bring an item with sufficient colour, texture and interest to work from . I instantly thought of the piece of wood I found on the Thames tow path on the way to work (and which my work colleagues were rather unimpressed with  when I came in brandishing my trophy). I've had to rethink my bag from the planned  small trundly suitcase  to large backpack  to accommodate it - see who I can demolish in the tube when turning round!
We'll be painting and dyeing so was  looking through my stash for white or plain  when I came across this wonderful piece of African damask batik which I shall sneek in my bag. I don't usually do much deying ( apart from Indigo ) although I like to use other peoples, especially when it  has the added benefit of supporting livelihoods.

4 comments:

Nina Marie said...

I totally understand why you wanted to bring this piece - wowsy! what an inspiration! Have fun!

Julie said...

Your driftwood and fabric look like a great starting point. See you tomorrow!

peneller said...

Glad to see you've got your packing priorities right Mags! Lumps of wood vs clothes? No contest! I've tried packing my pebbles, but they're just too heavy, so I'm taking photos of them instead! See you tomorrow!

Sandra Wyman said...

My pebbles are tiny ones - as are the shells. Even so everything together seems to weight a ton. Very impressive wood. Look forward to seeing it for real tomorrow!parin