Saturday 15 May 2010

Stick and Ink

After dinner on Tuesday, we set off for the birdhide overlooking Malham Tarn, armed only with ink ( acrylic in my case) hunting for a stick along the way.
I hadn't considered sketching from a hide before but it's very convenient (apart from the insects ) being under cover with a shelf for materials and a seat to prop yourself on( glad I took my Therm-O Rest Cushion though).Katherine suggested using a long strip of paper to draw the panoramic views.

Some areas work better than others
Besides the stick I used a dip pen, a reed pen and a brush, also a water mister. For the water shown below I used a Pentel waterbrush over drawn lines.
Most of my sketching I do with a technical pen such as Profipen 0.5 or PITT artists pens rather than pencil -I'd forgotten the joy of dipping in an ink pot and the variety of line and texture achieved. A technique to explore further - if only I could do it without coating my fingers too.

2 comments:

neki desu said...

all your energy went into creating those scketches! hope you're on the mend

Margaret Cooter said...

The ink is so dynamic!