Thursday 18 February 2010

Inspired by Die Tunisreise


Ordering another leather sketchbook from the diary shop to fill with watercolour paper, I was looking again at my sketches from Tunisia. I was heavily influenced in the 2 images of Kairouan backstreets above by looking through 'Die Tunisreise' kindly lent by Margaret before my trip. ( I've since sourced my own copy!) . This features the work of artists Paul Klee, August Macke and Louis Moilliet on their painting trip to Tunisia in 1914, a milestone in modern painting. I've long been a fan of Paul Klee, what was new to me in this book were all the drawings and photographs of locations and awareness of the work of Louis Moilliet.



Of the 3 artists, it is the work of August Macke (above) which seems to best capture the spirit of Tunisia - many of the locations don't seem to have changed that much, just different clothes and the addition of satellite dishes!

2 comments:

neki desu said...

the macke watercolors are stunning. thanks for sharing!

JP said...

these are just so hot!!!!