Tuesday 3 November 2009

Beauty in the Commonplace

After finishing my 'Breakthrough' piece on Saturday and taking photos of it while the light was decent, Ian decided I needed an airing so we walked along his usual running route to Blondin Park(yes named after that Blondin- the site is built on the house he used to live in). It's always worth while taking a camera even for something potentially so mundane. I was really struck by the light through these trees and the fallen leaves, reminding me of early Klimt paintings and the piece that Idaho Beauty is currently working on. As a special treat, Ian let me backtrack past the allotments which had a wonderful selection of sheds and structures . This tipsy example was particularly charming, I'll be back with my sketchbook.
We finished off at the Lord Nelson with a pint of Hobgoblin watching a childrens Halloween party assemble -lots of small purple witches walking by.
It was good to be reminded of the pleasures in small things and that inspiring images can be found close to home.

5 comments:

Pat said...

oh yes....the beauty in small pleasures and the nearness of them close to home.....

neki desu said...

and does finding and old acquaintance qualify for small pleasures?
thanks to your lord nelson link we had a glimpse of this person whom we had lost track of! thanks for the memories.
BTW is this Hampstead?

magsramsay said...

Hi Neki,
I'm intrigued! No it's not Hampstead but Brentford (South-West London near Thames)

Julie said...

Mags, thank you very much for the link you put on my blog for free cut curves :)

The Idaho Beauty said...

Thanks for the mention. It always amazes me how once you pick a subject, you suddenly see things related to it everywhere, i.e. my current fascination with "dancing" trees and your walk in the woods. Today while walking along the bike trail I caught myself studying the bare aspen against the blue sky and the shadow along one side of the trunks - totally subconscious. When I realized what I was doing, I knew it was because of this current focus, needing to understand how it really looks. Was not smart as you - no camera - and I too thought about returning with a sketchbook to capture views along this trail I walk nearly every day. Always something new to see in the familiar.