Monday 6 July 2009

Leaks,Breaks, and Breakthroughs

Following Tiggy's example, I took a photo of my selection of 2008 Journal Quilts before they went off on their travels, not at Minerva for me (tho' my 'Thin Blue Line' piece is there) but up to the Contemporary Quilt stand at Festival of Quilts.
We were given instructions on how to join them with strips of white netting which allows easy folding. What a great idea: flexible, stable and unobtrusive. It opens up the possibility of doing a 90cm rather than 60cm piece for the current CQ challenge 'Breakthrough' - acrylic paint cracks and creases easily as I found to my cost when a quilt was returned to me folded rather than rolled. But if I could use hinged sections.....
I've also made a breakthrough in my FoQ entry this weekend. After playing with different sized ovals, I went back to drawing from life onto several tracing paper sheets laid over a photo of the quilt so far and found that what worked best was smaller ovals but more of them. Reminded me of the value of going back to source material when inspiration falters.
So I've been slaving over a hot sewing machine ( although a least it's not so hot outside now ) The problem is that I've broken a toe on my 'pedal foot'! I stubbed it on the bedroom door on Monday and as the pain and bruising had increased by Wednesday, went to A&E. Not much to be done apart from strap it to it's neighbour and keep taking the painkillers ('red medicine' helps too! ) I did consider posting a photo but I think that would count as 'too much information'. The rather impressive bruise colours might make their way into a Journal Quilt
Apart from my poorly computer being taken away to be checked out, the 3rd bad luck incident this week was finding at 4 in the morning (when the weather broke with a deluge) water dripping from the ceiling in the upstairs landing. Roofer came to check it out on Saturday morning and is due back anytime now with his 'cat ladder' to replace some tiles and clear a blocked gutter. If it stops raining ......

7 comments:

lisette said...

what a fabulous idea - i'm playing with the idea of sliced up quilts put back together and netting or flywire might be a good alternative - thanks for that!

hope your toe feels much better soon - you don't realise how painful toes can be until you do something drastic to them

The WestCountryBuddha said...

Ooops on the toe front. What's red medicine please? (I'm thinking red wine, calpol, infusion of opium with ribena...etc)

I'm looking forward to seeing your quilt and have been teased by your snippets!

jude said...

that netting idea is great! sorry about your toe but at least you have new color inspiration. ha!

Sandra Wyman said...

Ouch! Look forward to seeing FOQ entry. My little book is still ongoing but will be finished in time despite having to redo a dragonfly which looks too heavy to fly! And then on to CQ challenge, and the SAQA theme for FOQ 2010 is Art meets Science - too good not to have a go at. Why do we do this to ourselves?

Sarah said...

Poor you with your toe - it's amazing how much one toe can impact on the simple things in life. I'll be looking out for your work at FoQ - keep on going at it.

Tiggy Rawling said...

Ouch. Feet, don't even go there! I decided on taking the indigo weekend a week before my escape, to wear my espadrilles - they are old and really do not matter.
Slop, slop. Result - bad ankles, my Achilles' heels. So with Greek ointment and red medicine I survived. Such is life. Hope your toe mends soon.

Margaret Cooter said...

The hingeing is a breakthrough in itself! Coincidentally, there were lots of "fabrics that folded" at the degree shows this year - usually triangles configured in patterns that would go 3D when nudged.