Wednesday 21 January 2009

Distressed Doors

I've always been a connoisseur of a nicely distressed, crumbly door- every holiday I go on I have to do at least one watercolour sketch besides taking numerous photos. Going back year after year to Paralio Astros I have been able to document the decline of some prime examples. (Greek doors in their array of blues and greens are particularly delicious).
I've struggled to realise their potential in textiles despite several experiments and samples but finally I think I'm getting there.

Loutra Kithnos

Pedoulas, Cyprus


Paralio Astros, Peleponnese


Gythion, Peleponnese

I've been experimenting for a while with painting on sections of old Durham Quilt that have a wonderful texture in their hand quilting. I was wondering how I could print photos on this surface ( they're too thick to go through my printer) so have gone back to trying iron -on transfer sheets. The best distressed effect was when I removed the sheets too soon and got an incomplete transfer of the image , with sections of the background showing through and mixed matt and gloss areas ( tho' I can imagine the quilt judges commenting on it being done incorrectly - how to get across that it's intentional! )


I gessoed the background and the edges of the print - it's already looking aged!


Than I painted with acrylics, trying to match up the colours and 'brushwork' of the photo.



This smaller sample was even more effective, especially in close-up, the painted gesso really has that feeling of an old cracked wall

I've still got my work cut out to scale up but it's an exciting start.

8 comments:

Linda B. said...

A fascinating twist on a technique that you are really taking ownership of. Thanks too for showing us the sketches that led to the textile work.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Exciting indeed! Nice job of incorporating a transfer print creatively. This is what I struggle with, doing something other than just printing to fabric.

The watercolors are lovely too.

Hilary said...

Margaret, I so enjoyed your posting this morning. The effects are absolutely spot on and you are obviously enjoying the experimenting.

Hilary

The WestCountryBuddha said...

This is really spectacular....I truly love it. I'm very fond of a distressed door myself especially next to a crumbly painted wall. You've captured it so beautifully. About quilt judges, well it's a good point. I remember something similar happening to me one year with an intentional raw edge and wobbly seams and they thought it was poor workmanship! Don't know what the answer is apart from not entering quilt shows and going for art shows instead.

Eva said...

Unique technique! Sketches on journeys make the impressions remain. I made some when I had time enough, and they give me so much more afterwards than the photographs.

Linda’s Textiles said...

Some lovely old looking textures happening here, I like the way you work through a theme, from
sketch to textile, solving problems as you go.

Helen said...

wonderful wonderful door textures :D

would you email me with your email address so that I can add you to the "today's title" blog :D I was so hoping you might join in as I love your work.
cheers
H

bdavegas said...

Hi love your doors in Cyprus and Greece. Would be interested in knowing if you display your work or even sell prints of your work.