Saturday 24 May 2008

Greek Grill Displacement

One of the pleasures in returning to the same place on holiday is revisiting old friends like this wonderful metal grill in front of a peeling wooden shutter. Despite the building work that's going on in Paralio Astros ( mainly new apartments for visiting Athenians), most of the crumbly doors I revere are still intact. I've used this grill as source material for several pieces including my October 2003 Journal quilt ( when I'd first made its acqaintance)
I was inspired to return to it to play with ' displacement' filter on Photoshop following Maggie's excellent instructions. I saved a pattern of the grill (with enhanced contrast) as a psd file to act as displacement map
I then played around with it applying to many types of images from the same trip :flowers, sky, landscapes but liked the effect best when applied to the original image of the grill.
I like it even more with the colour saturation increased.
Lots of possibilities, perhaps building up layers in organzas?

1 comment:

neki desu said...

Beautiful door.
Have you tried manipulating it with PS actions? You can get incredibly useful effects, i tend to favor them more than just filters. Here's a link for starters(it's safe, you can download anything)
http://browse.deviantart.com/resources/applications/psactions/?order=5
This is provided you're not using Elements :(

neki desu